Skip to main content
Help Center

How to fill out your education

Some federal jobs require that you have a college degree or specific coursework. You can find these requirements in the Qualifications section of the job announcement.

If you're applying to a job with education requirements, you must include the required education and coursework information in your resume. As you fill out your education information, you need to include:

  • Your degree (s)—it must be from an accredited academic institution.
  • The highest academic level you completed—include post-secondary courses, even if you don't have a degree.
  • A transcript if you're using education to qualify for a job—the hiring agency may ask you for an unofficial transcript during the application process and an official transcript later.

You can add up to 50 entries for your education in your profile, or in our resume builder. If you want to add more, you'll need to delete an existing entry.

Education from an accredited academic institution

You must provide documentation or proof that your degree(s) is from a school accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education, or that your education meets the other provisions outlined in the OPM Operating Manual. If you completed your education outside of the U.S., you must provide proof its equivalent to accredited U.S. education programs.

Learn more about education and training requirements.

Your highest academic level

Include the highest academic level you've completed in your resume. Choose from the following academic levels:

High school or equivalent

You've earned a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).

Technical or occupational certificate

You've received training in a special skill to be used in a trade (i.e., mechanical, electrical, carpentry, etc.), or completed an organized program of study given by a recognized body or authority in a given subject area (i.e., MCSE, Java, CFA, Series 7, etc.)

Associate degree

You've completed undergraduate studies and earned a 2-year degree at an accredited institution.

Some college coursework completed

You've attended college but haven't earned a degree, (include your total credits earned and if those credits are semester or quarter hours.)

Bachelor's degree

You've earned a 4-year degree (i.e., BA, BS, etc.) from an accredited academic institution.

Master's degree

You've earned a master's level degree (i.e., MBA, etc.) from an accredited academic institution.


You've earned a degree (i.e., PhD), title or rank of doctor from an accredited academic institution.


You've earned a professional degree (i.e., law, medical, dental, etc.) from an accredited academic institution.

What if I'm currently completing my degree?

If you're currently completing your degree, select the degree and enter in the expected degree completion date.

Other coursework, licensures and certifications

While not required, it's beneficial to list relevant coursework, licensures and certifications. Include this information to show your knowledge or skill level in a certain field of study, especially if it's relevant to the job you're applying to.

Still need help?